Friday, April 11, 2008

So why are you so defensive, Officer?

An attorney related this series of deposition questions he asked an officer recently:

Ofc: When the window opened, I smelled the odor of Marijuana.

Atty: What training have you had regarding the odor of Marijuana?

Ofc: When I was in the Police Academy an instructor lighted a marijuana cigarette and allowed all of us to smell it.

Atty: Have you ever smelled marijuana before that?

Ofc: How is that relevant to this case? (officer starts looking at the state attorney and shifting around uneasily in his chair)

Atty: I want to know was this time in training the first time you have ever smelled marijuana?

Ofc: I don't see how this is relevant to this case. Whether I had smelled marijuana before has nothing to do with this case. What does it have to do with this case? (by this point the officer is about jump out of his chair, clearly agitated by the questions)
Atty: So you don't want to answer the question of whether you have smelled marijana before?
Ofc: No.
Atty: Okay, for the record I will certify the question.
I think a peek in the personnel file of this officer, particularly the job application portion, might be worthwhile.

3 comments:

S said...

Ooh, I love it when they start to get jumpy and defensive like that!

San Mateo Divorce Attorney said...

I have read many articles about lawyers but i really found this article very unique and interesting.

Greg Prosmushkin said...

Thanks for sharing this great post. I enjoyed the back and fore questioning and answers. It was very informative with the details of your post. Have a wonderful day and keep up the posts.
Lawyer Philadelphia